Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

In this song, Bono refers to his late Father. Lyrics we all in one way or another can apply to our own lives. Lyrics that capture that point when we really do need a helping hand to get us by, despite our stubborn resistance to say so.

There is an evident common tie that binds the posts I've written. I'm a dreamer with thoughts clouding my head. A trait I'm sure most my age can identify with. Newly independent, I have new found struggles...constantly fighting a battle, with words as my weapon.

It's become apparent that I can be quite stubborn to back down and often find myself in an anxious whirlwind forgetting how I got there to begin with. So busy proving I'm capable that I forget what the purpose of the fight was from the start.

Rather than seeking control and writing of my desire to prove myself. I want to write about not always being right. About being weak even. Needing others. Taking the help thats offered and once I've gained the strength, getting back on my own two feet and with stability.

I have so many amazing people in my life. Living life on my own however, I find myself steering away from a dependence on others. As mentioned in my previous post, "You're with yourself from start to end, no two ways about it." As for those whose presence is not guaranteed, perhaps we should value their guidance and assistance while we are fortunate enough to have it.

An amazing person in my life said that I shouldn't be afraid to need someone. That everyone needs something at some point. I was initially hesitant of this, believing that no one should ever have to need anyone or anything. I didn't realize that needing someone doesn't mean your survival depends solely on them. It is allowing yourself a shoulder to lean on, and opening yourself to the possibility of sharing a link or connection in which both sides can grow and benefit from one another. Rather than holding onto a "crutch" as I viewed it, it's letting go.

I'm so thankful for the loved ones in my life. They teach me that it's okay to not always be strong, and sometimes you can't always make it on your own.

1 comment: