Friday, October 29, 2010

Verne's Hardware 1961-2010

The following is a note about my Grandfather's Hardware store that I've posted on facebook. It was later published in my hometown's newspaper.


I can remember visiting my Grampa Verne's store as a child. The smell of the pipes in the hardware and grease in the old bike shop. My Grandpa would let me play with his elastics and paper clips in the office while he did paper work....and would always buy me our family's favourite..."The Bounty Bar" as a snack before heading home.


My first job was at Verne's...answering phones, working cash, sweeping, stocking shelves, key cutting (once I gained the nerve). I learned a lot through the store and regret not working there longer...or at least visiting more for reasons other than asking for the vehicle. It's wholesome local businesses like Verne's that remind us what matters. Quality. Not just that their items were literally top quality but everything about that store was rich with sincerity. The moment you walked out the door you knew each employee had done their best to help you. When my Grandfather asked how things were or helped you out with the pricing if needed, it was because he genuinely cared for his costumers...and for the Soo community in general. His main goal from day one (as many would know if you've met my Grandfather) was customer service. If the customer leaves happy...you know you did your job, and you did it right.


My Grampa Verne passed away when I was only 8 years old yet I've learned so much from him. I thank him and my Mother for teaching me that a smile and laugh can go a long way. He once said, "People are attracted to winners, you don't have to win just have to have a winning personality" my Mom always quotes my Grampa saying this because he was referring to attitude. Go in to everything with a positive winning attitude and even if you don't succeed as planned, people will appreciate you regardless. A lesson my Mother who has taken on the family business has now learned for herself. She has made the entire Merrifield family so proud with her personal investment, over time hours, and full dedication to preserving the respected local reputation my Grandfather worked so hard to attain. The store closing may be a loss for the Sault, but my Mother remains a winner in my books.

Verne's Hardware will close it's doors this year after 49 years of serving Sault Ste. Marie.


When my Mother recently asked what I would like from the old store, I mentioned a little wooden musical hardware shop that plays the song "I Did It My Way" by Frank Sinatra. It was given to my Grampa years ago...and had always been a favourite song of his with personal significance.

My Mom said she had already placed it aside for me...knowing he would have wanted me to have it.

I hope to be half the person my Grampa and Mother are someday... and I will always cherish the little hardware store that made a big difference.


And now, the end is near,

And so I face the final curtain.

My friends, I'll say it clear

I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full

I've travelled each and every highway.

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

- Frank Sinatra

No comments:

Post a Comment