Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Honesty is Such a Lonely Word

Right you are Billy Joel, right you are.

Seems honesty has lost it's charm. Unfortunate timing then perhaps for me to have a new hunger for truth in a world clouded with deception. I find myself enjoying films based on true events and music with honest lyrics that aren't cliche or overdone. I want so bad to earn a living in a career that allows for honest expression and creative freedom. Taking Communications opens many doors for me...too many in fact....often presenting me with the question "So, what exactly is communications anyways? What would you do with that?" Which is hard to say really when so many things depend on communication. A broad degree perhaps, but it can literally contribute to any profession.Realistically, Communications will often lead one to a career in business, teaching, or acting as a public representative. All of which, I do not plan on pursuing.

A creative path is one I wish to pursue. One with meaning, excitement and most of all....passion. All forms of artistic/creative professions require some degree of skill in communicating. An artist communicates their message through painting, a musician through compositions, a comedian through monologue. The best form of this expression, this art of communicating..being that which is most true. Say what you will about vulgar comedians such as George Carlin, but it can not be denied that the root of his humour was pure honesty. Blatant and uncensored, you had to laugh at how raw and real everything he said was, regardless of its applicability to your own life.
So I've jumped from seeking truth to seeking meaning in my program to ranting about creative expression.

A complicated mess of various ideas that seem to be jumbled in my head. An accurate representation of how I think. Scatterbrained and jumping from one emotion to the next. I guess this is an honest post, a expression of truth. So there we have it, one step closer to an honest world. I feel a lot better getting that off my chest. Don't you? Be honest now....

No comments:

Post a Comment