Monday, March 28, 2011

No one is Youer than You

It's a surprise to few that who we were as children is often so clearly reflected in who we become as adults. Often we'll have a lapse in judgement, a detour here and there, doubt who we are, what we're capable of and what will really make us happy. Despite these inevitable detours, it's often hard to mask what we were born to do. The study freak in school will go on to become a wealthy workaholic who regrets missing out on their youth but is basking in the rewards of their efforts none the less. The "slacker" will constantly seek an easy route in life or avoid committed responsibility. Though who you were does not determine you will be, it sure can assist in predicting the direction you're prone to.

I for one have always channelled my energy through writing and "acting out" in class. Not being a complete ass and spending my days outside the principals office, but instead using humour as a coping mechanism and tactic for socializing and "lightening the mood." Though my efforts were not always successful, it was just who I was. I couldn't pretend to be ditzy and shy or "too cool" for everything with my headphones in. To this day I still feel writing is my outlet, and humour is my medicine. The two together keep me sane through the worst of times. I depend of friends and family, but in times of solidarity its nice to have your own method of coping.

Now we've established we all have traits in our nature that we cannot deny. What is sad to me however, is that many are lead astray. We become tainted and discouraged or on the contrary- egotistical. We either think we're incapable or want too much. So how do we get back the root of who we are? That inevitable vein of truth within us that is bound to explode. My wish for todays youth is to find that kid in class who was drawing in their notebook. That kid who ran the fastest in the school yard. . They're who you were before the chaos of the world made you callused. They're who you were meant to me. Have the courage to find them again, and when you do, don't let them go.

No comments:

Post a Comment